Saturday, June 23, 2007

There's No Place Like Home

I feel like Dorothy, waking up in black and white, back in Kansas. Was it all a dream?

I awoke at 5:38 this morning and debated getting out of bed and writing, but fell back to sleep and dreamed I was married to Tom Cruise. Holy Nightmare, Rainman!

I love being home and reunited with my daughter, and we had a very lively lunch talking through the Greek myths that have been obsessing me for the last two weeks. She's very interested in knowing the story and what Letterlady and I have been up to. She's mad that I didn't take any pictures of the cats that surrounded our little domicile, but she likes the columbine earrings I got her at the little gift shop before we left Ouray.

Our drive home was long, made richer by the music of The Dixie Chicks and the fiction of Richard Peck on the CD player. We decided to listen to a book in order to get out of our own heads for a while. The River Between Us is a wonderful tale of two friends at the outbreak of the Civil War, living along the Mississippi River. It deals with ghosts, family, racism, loyalty, and love. What more could a story want? We got it out of the Lafayette Library, and you can too, once I return it. We recommend it. (I also loved and recommend listening to his book A Year Down Yonder, also available at the library.)

I'm heading to L.A. in a week and a half and am trying to set up lunch with an author friend of my Dad's, to pick her brain about agents and manuscripts and the like. I'd like to make the revisions that Letterlady so wisely suggested before I go, so that I can have a few folks read it and give feedback while I'm out there. It's hard to know whether to keep composing and work towards the end of the story, or to revise what I already have.

I think I'll go take a nap and meditate on that question...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the morning-after blog. Since you are back in Kansas, now, I can assure you that your entire blog makes for strong evidence that your technicolor dream was in fact real.

Here's a comment on rewrites. My experience (along with advice I have had from other writers) is to go to the end with no rewriting. I do rewrites only if is clear to me that the whole story is not going to work as originally structured and/or outlined.

Each rewrite causes a ripple. There's a giant or tiny shock wave that goes in both directions affecting both the end of the story, as well as the story so far. I think it is easier to attend to the ripples when the whole story is told.