Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Cock-a-doodle-doo!

Woke up early this morning with my typical workaholic-end-of-the-year insomnia. It must be June. My alarm says I have forty-five more minutes to sleep, but my brain says, "You leave in five days! You can't be sleeping! You have way too much to do!!" So naturally, instead of doing any of those things, I'm blogging. Ah, the insanity.

Must do before we leave:
  • Grade the exams my World Lit students are taking all this week (I hope they reviewed the Ovid packet. They are forever confusing Pyramus and Pygmalion, Orpheus and Odysseus. Do you think they realized that all the level one answers are in the crossword puzzle?)
  • Write a letter and assemble mailings for all the teachers who will be new to our school next year.
  • Read The Secret Garden with my daughter.
  • Hand out the summer reading books to faculty mentors.
  • Pack and clean my classroom.
  • Move into a new office (my job is being reconfigured with new and exciting responsibilities for the fall.)
  • Post final grades.
  • Call the kid up the street who mows my grass.
  • Receive (I hope) finalized divorce decree in the mail.
  • Decide which journals to pack.
  • Go to Office Max for a jump drive, ink cartridges and paper. Probably want to treat myself with a pack of brand new fine-tip pens, too (black ink, of course.)
  • Pay bills.
  • Read The Secret Garden with my daughter.
  • Pack camera and printer!!!
  • Clean out the fridge. (I actually already did this, but I always put things on my lists that I've already done so that I can cross them off.)
  • Call the other kid up the street who will water my yard and plants.
  • Sell precious family stock so I can buy gas for the trip.
  • Get postcard stamps (did they go up in price, too?)
  • Choose CD's that Letterlady won't hate me for bringing (will our cottage at the retreat have a CD player? Better bring one.)
  • Decide which books on writing to take (currently am sure that I can't live without Ted Kooser's Poetry Home Repair Manual, Mary Pipher's Writing to Change the World, Mary Oliver's A Poetry Handbook, Margaret Atwood's Writing With Intent, a gift from a member of my Estrogen Posse called The Writer's Path by Walton and Toomay, and of course, Natalie Goldberg's Writing Down the Bones.)
  • Rent a van.
  • Get Doritos and Dr. Pepper for celebratory departure feast (need the Indigo Girls Shaming of the Sun for driving down the driveway.)
  • Call mom with phone numbers where we'll be.
  • Read The Secret Garden with my daughter.
  • Laundry!!!
Help me readers...what am I forgetting?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget clean underwear! A toothbrush! Camera, aromatherapy candle for your room, swimsuit!

What a lovely adventure.