Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Goddesses Who Love Too Much

Well I spent all day with Hades and Persephone, and I feel like I need a shower and a twelve step meeting. I know I've said it before, but he is just such a creep! Persephone's finally hitting bottom with all his controlling, sick behavior, and the sun is finally shining a little hope into her life, since Demeter showed up to take her home in a 1965 Chevy pickup. Unfortunately Persephone has a broken nose and a fat lip, but time heals all wounds, right? They don't call him the Lord of Darkness for nothing.

On that note, I'm a little disturbed that the story of obsession and abuse comes so much easier to me than the story of love-that-makes-us-stupid and the consequences thereof. What does it mean that I seem to have a knack for sick and violent sex scenes? (I'm sure no one I teach is reading this, although they all know the themes of World Literature...Maybe that's it! I've been teaching World Literature too long...Next year we're adding Pollyanna and My Friend Flicka to the ninth grade reading list.)

Eurydice and Orpheus had the day off today, and will get back to work tomorrow. When last we left them they were debating commitments and whether or not they want one. Long distance relationships with touring musicians don't sound all that smart to me, but Eydie has a mind of her own and a lot less experience, so we'll see what she decides. Whatever it is, we know it can't last long, right? Snakes are lurking in the grasses all around...

I'm finding that writing a novel that's hung on the framework of a myth is a wonderful exercise. The allusions and symbolism almost become a kind of scavenger hunt, and the ability to shape the form within the basic structure is great fun. Of course, in the original myths neither of these women comes to much good, but for those of you who know me, you know I can't just leave it at that. What would my college Philosophy of Feminism professor say?

Redemption, here we come.

1 comment:

Book Force said...

Can't wait to read this novel, sounds absolutely devilish (ha, ha, ha.) No, really! I'm thinking it'll be way too easy to get the insipid Pollyanna approved by the board!