Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Insomnia, Garden Hoses

It's 8:30 am, and Freewoman is sleeping peacefully. Me, on the otherhand? I've been up for approximately 4 and 1/2 hours. I woke at 4 in the morning and despite my best efforts to think calm, boring thoughts, my head was racing and at 5:30 I just gave in and got up. I think the ticking clock is getting to me. Other writers, those who have advances or large trust funds perhaps, might luxuriate in this last stages of writings. "Golly, I just don't want it to end! I want to savor every word!" But I am so worried about meeting my self imposed deadlines that I may be getting a little sloppy. I want so badly to be done, to say those words (casually, with a flick of the hair): "yes, I've finished my novel."
So I'm trying not to rush, and not to let my dazed sleepiness affect the quality of my prose. This may prove impossible.
Jumping Jehosophat novels are long slippery things. I feel like I'm trying to do macrame with garden hoses.

3 comments:

Book Force said...

Self-imposed deadlines are the worst! Keep those garden hoses in line, and remember to shower, you'll get where you want to go. I'm so amazed that the two of you are nearly done!

Signed: A Force to be reckoned with! :)

letterlady said...

have you been talking to my mother?? thanks so much for your support oh mighty Force.

Unknown said...

hi mom i love you