Friday, June 8, 2007

Low Fuel Warning

Despite the fact that I have SO much to do to get ready to depart in the morning, now that I'm home with my feet up, I don't seem to be able to get up out of this chair.

Nothing like margaritas and raucous stories about students to cap the events of a school year. A whole posse of teachers colonized the back porch of our local Mexican eatery, where happy hour lived up to its name.

The power at school was restored this morning around 8:30, and we worked our tails off all day cleaning, organizing, moving teachers in and out of classrooms, finishing and posting grades, celebrating career and personal milestones over a faculty lunch, and basically working ourselves hard to the very end. I feel like I'm running on fumes and if anyone tries to crank my ignition, I will simply stall.

Or, I could write a poem about some of the themes of the happy hour conversations...they would include dragons, unicorns, good books, sweet pickles, tequila worms and banjos. This sounds like a good assignment for everyone!

Readers, make a poem that uses at least three of the themes/words listed above and post your results in the comments section of the blog. Don't forget that weblogs are supposed to be interactive, so your responses to what we write here will generate more good conversation. We might even learn something!

Looking forward to reading what you come up with...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never before have followed a blog,
but they asked for interaction, so here is my log.

Tequila? I'm too young to drink.
It is quite weird to think
of our teachers at happy hour.

I'm apprehensive about "coming of age" and being twenty-one,
if what you talk about is unicorns and tequila worms-- it sounds, um, fun.

Good books however, is a topic one cannot ignore,
and so I hope this entry was not merely a bore.

Freewoman said...

Well done, reader! We appreciate your valiant attempts at verse and rhyme.

I remember running into one of my teachers at the supermarket when I was little. I was too stunned to speak, and then amazed to think that she probably eats food! In my mind she only existed at school, all the time, entirely for my benefit.

And it's not the tequila that makes the hour happy...it's the company and the good will of all assembled. No age limit, there.

Anonymous said...

Ev’rythin’ good is better by banjo--
Includin’ books and pickles, sweet or dill.
I love that twangy music. I’m a fan, so

Plunk them wires, start to squirm
Your dragon ass, but skip the worm

And drink your uni-cornucopian fill.

Aaron said...

I wiped the sleep from my eyes, forlorn
Perhaps that really isn't a unicorn
Maybe just a glass horse with a little horn
Or a dragon, looking worn
I wouldn't know, my mind burns
I knew I shouldn't have ate the worm

hah, poem + allusion